How To: Make an Ice Massage Cup
Now that we are approaching summer, therapists, especially those practicing sports massage, begin to perform Ice Massage!
"A form of therapy involving the application of ice to treat many kinds of injuries, including those associated with back or neck pain. Ice causes the veins in the affected tissue area to constrict ..."
When performing Ice Massage effectively you want to keep your own fingers from freezing! Here is how to make an inexpensive but effective Ice Massage Cup.
What you will need: 1 Dixie Cup & Water
- Fill the Dixie Cup with water as close to the top as possible
- Place the Dixie Cup with water in the freezer
- Once frozen, remove the cup
- Tear 1/4 -1/2 inch off of the Dixie Cup, around the entire cup, exposing the ice
- While holding the base of the Dixie Cup, run the exposed ice under lukewarm water for 1-2 seconds
- As the ice begins to slightly melt, take it out of the running water and smooth/round the edges so you do not scrap your client
- Throughout the treatment continue to tear back the Dixie Cup as the ice melts to expose new nice